1)China – Myanmar Cooperation
- This engagement extends between 1962 – 1992 [This is when sanctions from the west was on Myanamar]
Why China involves in Myanmar ?
- China seeks to use Myanmar’s natural resources to meet its own domestic demand
- China does not have direct opening to Indian Oecan Region. Therefore it wants to expand its access to Bay of Bengal and IOR to develop a strategic presence in this region..
- China wants to deny India its Strategic space across South Asia
Relation among both countries
- China developing the Kyaukpya Port in Myanmar
- China has got predominant influence over Kanchin State of Myanmar( Kanchin State border with Arunachal Pradesh)
- China is having naval facilities in Great Coco Island [near Andaman and Nicobar island]
- China developing ASIAN Corridor as part of BRI that spanning through Nanning to Malaysia
2)Rohingya Muslim Crisis
More than one million people in Myanmar identify as Rohingya, a predominantly Muslim group living mainly in Rakhine State on the country’s western coast. These people lack documentation to satisfy the constitutional requirement that their ancestors settled in the country before 1823.
- Since 2016 Myanmar’s army has carried out “clearance operations” in the north of the western state to root out insurgents accused of deadly raids on police border posts.
- UN human rights office said that Myanmar’s security forces had committed mass killings and gang rapes of Rohingya Muslims and burned their villages
- Many Rohingya have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh, alleging rape, murder and torture at the hands of security forces. A large number of those escaping the violence end up in the trafficking networks.
- The persecuted Rohingya Muslims are likely to provide fertile recruiting grounds for extremists.
- Bangladesh fears that Islamist hard-liners, who staunchly support the Rohingya Muslims, are trying to exploit the situation for their political benefits.
- Some sections of the Rohingyas have formed armed guerilla groups in Rakhine to fight Myanmar’s Army and operate along the mountainous border.
- Despite Myanmar’s transition towards democracy, the country’s government refuses to address the issue.
3)Insurgency between border
- Despite being separate with weapons with Myanmar..It has failed to take strict actions against the insurgent groups in Myanmar..
Myanmar is the spring board for providing connectivity to India’s North Eastern states with that of ASEAN Countries..The transition to civilian government has provided a greater strategic space for India in Myanamr….