1.INDIAN MEDICAL COUNCIL (IMC)
~Established through Indian Medical Council Act,1956…..therefore its a statutory body..
The main functions of the Medical Council of India are as follows:
- Establishment and maintenance of uniform standards for undergraduate medical education.
- Regulation of postgraduate medical education in medical colleges accredited by it. (This is another statutory body for postgraduate medical education in India).
- Recognition of medical qualifications granted by medical institutions in India.
- Recognition of foreign medical qualifications in India.
- Accreditation of medical colleges.
- Registration of doctors with recognized medical qualifications.
- Keeping a directory of all registered doctors (called the Indian Medical Register).
Registration of doctors and their qualifications is usually done by state medical councils.
ISSUES IN MCI
#Corruption and Nepotism
#Poor regulation of human resources
The allegedly-corrupt Medical Council of India (MCI) was on the chopping block for quite some time now..
Centre issued an ordinance, appointing a seven-member committee to run the MCI. The panel will be in charge till the MCI is replaced by the proposed National Medical Commission (NMC). The government was “forced” to take this step after the Supreme Court-appointed oversight committee (OC), meant to monitor the MCI’s functioning, “resigned in disgust”…..